Saturday, November 24, 2012

Statistics Is an Art


Thursday, November 15, 2012 by Eston Martz

Statistics is an art.When you say the word "statistics" to people, most think about math. But not me. I think about art.
 
I was reminded about this when I received the following e-mail recently: 
Hi Eston --
I read your paper on "Weather Forecasts: Just How Reliable Are They?" and have a few questions. I am a retired engineer who enjoys data and would like to do a similar study for my home town. I want to look at the NWS and our local TV stations' 7 day forecasts (high, lows and precip.).

I was wondering if you have more details on the statistical analysis. I did take statistics for engineers in college in the 1960s, but have forgotten almost all I learned. I also did some statistics at work, but we had statisticians to do the hard stuff.

I enjoyed your blog "How...
Read More » »

No comments:

Post a Comment