Thursday, July 2, 2015

Personal PDCA and How I Learned It

by Mark Reich
June 16, 2015

In 23 years at Toyota, I had many assignments and different bosses, I managed many people, but a constant part of the culture was what I’ve come to call “personal PDCA” – a kind of mentored self-development cycle. When it comes to personal PDCA, my first problem solving experience during my first ever assignment in Japan stands out for me.

On my first day at the office (in 1988), I was assigned both a mentor and a problem to solve. The organization I worked in was responsible for new model planning for global overseas markets – design input, grades, and specifications for Camrys, Corollas, and many other models headed to the U.S., Europe, other areas in Asia, the whole world. And within that Department, my group was responsible for Competitive Analysis. When planning a new Camry for example, we studied what Honda was doing with its new Accord along with all other competitors in that market.

No comments:

Post a Comment