Thursday, February 2, 2012

In standards, every word is important.

Monday, January 30, 2012
by

I was in a conversation this week that reminded me of a conversation many years ago when I took freshman calculus. My professor loved using the term “it is intuitively obvious that…” which was intend to mean that what he was about to say next should be immediately clear and obvious to anyone and everyone in the class. As it turned out, the only thing that became intuitively obvious was that neither mathematics nor engineering was going to become the path to my future career.

What I did learn however was that words are important and folks who write them have an obligation to create text that can be understood by the anticipated audience, and that the folks the read them have an obligation to read the text carefully in order to grasp the intended interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment