Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Strategy Integration: the Nerd (Scientist), the Car Guy (Design Engineer), and the Bean Counter (Accountant)


Hopefully, the title of this column has caught your attention. I was going to call our first player just “the scientist,” but because I am (or was) one and I called the accountant a “bean counter,” I do not want to prejudice anyone by being too kind to my own group.

This column germinated from a book and a commentary. The book is Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business by Bob Lutz, former vice chairman of General Motors. The commentary is a Harvard Business Review (HBR) blog by Roger Martin, dean of the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto. The scientist part emerged from a combination of my own musings and an article that I came across by Mike Short in an issue of Lexpert magazine.

I’ll start with my own bias as a scientist. .....More

No comments:

Post a Comment