Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Influential Voices: World Quality Month

Did you know that November is World Quality Month? Paul Borowski talks about it on his blog and vlog. He poses the following questions:
“How is it that you came to be passionate about quality?” and “How will you help in your country to observe and celebrate the importance of quality?”
I became passionate about quality when I saw the impact the quality, and poor quality could have within an organization. My start in quality started in customer service (AKA retail). I worked for Nedrebo’s Formalwear in Madison, WI – I rotated between two of their facilities to get a 40 hour week. We actually had a full day of offsite training on customer service while I worked there.  One of the things I learned was that the more I know not just about our products, but about products related to ours, the better service I could offer our customers. Prom boy or huge wedding party, we learned to treat each and every customer as if they were the most important customer in the store. This led to referrals and repeat business, when the best men and groomsmen were ready to marry. When I go into a retail store, I always go back to the training we received and the level of service that we delivered to our customers – typically it is just not there.
How will I celebrate World Quality Month?  I do a lot of sharing of information within my company, and I am planning to use that platform to share information about quality tools and applications. We focus on quality year round, but this is another opportunity to spread the word about quality, to raise the voice of quality in an organization already committed to this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment